Sunday 5 July 2009

Proper Pubs...........

As anyone who knows me can confirm, I like a drink once in a while.

I also like pubs - proper pubs that is. When we first came here to live, we had a lovely pub in the village. In fact, it was one of the reasons we bought the house; not because of the building, or the beer, but because of the atmosphere, and the fact that when we viewed the house we called in for a drink and found a bar full of friendly locals who openly welcomed us to the village and offered help.

These days, our pub has been turned into a wine bar type eatery. It's just not my scene - all champagnes by the glass and roasted broad beans in little bags.

One of my neighbours works away from home most of the time, and when he comes home for a weekend, likes to have a beer or ten. We've got into a bit of a habit of going off to a different pub each time and having a few jars....

On friday night, we decided to pop down to Witham Friary and have some cider. When I say cider, I mean proper cider, not the fizzy cold crap you get in most pubs.

The Seymour Arms is something quite special. Untouched for the best part of a century, it is a time warp. The landlord serves drinks via a hatchway, and has nothing on keg. The prices are from a different era too!

So, if anyone finds themselves in Somerset, and wants a decent pint, for a decent price, served in a proper pub, head for Witham Friary........

2 comments:

  1. you could never hold your beer never mind cider the poper stuff .now then you old ranter we have a decent pub up here in cheshire gods country that is !!!
    they serve out of the cask bloody good beer , have to water it down for you
    old forester

    ReplyDelete
  2. After all those years of practice, with a little rest in between, I can confirm that I still can't hold me beer!

    Out of the cask? One of my contracts is at a micro brewery that wins awards all over the place. My tip each visit is a gallon of loverly beer...... yum, yum.

    Remember the Palmers in Bridport? I still get a drop of that now and again..

    ReplyDelete